One of the leading beauty tools for all women is a hairdryer. Whether your hair is curly, straight, or wavy, this magic device can shape hair easily and make it more beautiful. In case you do not use it correctly, hairdryers can cause damage to your hair and may not give you the desired result. If you want to get acquainted with the correct steps of blow-drying for different hair types and learn its tricks, stay tuned to BazarOnline Magazine for the rest of this article.
Is it right to blow drying your hair daily?
The answer to this question can vary depending on how many times a week you wash your hair, your hair type, the products you use for your hair, and how you blow drying your hair. If you blow dry your hair when it is wet, yes, you are damaging your hair and causing it to dry and frizz.
If you think that drying your hair with natural air is a good solution, you better think more. While this can relax your hair, one study found that using a hairdryer properly to dry your hair does more minor damage to your hair than it usually does; When your hair is wet, it swells, and when you let it stay moist, it continues to swell and puts unnecessary pressure on the hair’s natural proteins. The same proteins that help keep hair healthy. So to protect your hair, it is better to know the correct way to use a hairdryer. We highly recommend you to check our hair care products.
The primary and correct method of blow-drying at home
Preparations before using hairdryer
- Be sure to comb all your hair well before going to the bathroom, especially if you have thick or greasy hair. This will prevent knots and help keep your hair clean.
- Wet your hair with lukewarm water. Hot water opens the hair cuticles and allows the products to penetrate deep into the hair follicles.
- Use a suitable shampoo, preferably sulfate-free, to clean your hair and scalp.
- Depending on your hair type, be sure to use a conditioner or hair mask to style your hair. Nourishing masks help strengthen and shine your hair and prevent it from drying out and creating frizz. If you have thin hair, use lighter conditioners and masks.
- Note: To prevent frizz, rinse your hair with cold water at the end.
Steps to blow dry
- One of the most common mistakes is drying your wet hair with a hairdryer. It is interesting to know that between 60 to 80% of your hair should be dry before blow-drying. Cut the process into smaller pieces after your hair is dry. Start drying from the bottom layers. Holding the hairdryer down will help make your hair smoother and more radiant.
- Be sure to use the proper temperature for drying. Medium heat is the best option for drying hair. High heat manipulates the shape of your hair and low heat is a great choice for maintain your hair form.
- Choose the style of your hair. For example, if you twist the clips while separating and curling, you can give your hair a natural wave. You can use a round brush to straighten or curl your hair.
- Do not hold the hair dryer too close to your hair. There should be a distance of at least 15 cm between them.
- If you want to give more volume to your hair, style the roots of your hair by using brush and the heat of a hairdryer.
How to dry straight hair properly?
- First of all, apply a heat protection spray or oil to your hair and wait a few minutes for 50 to 80% of your hair to dry. If you have thinning hair, do not spray or oil the roots of your hair.
- Divide your hair into small sections and tie it with clips.
- Take a round hairbrush and hold it upright. To dry, brush the ends of the hair and roll it towards the face, and blow-dry with a blow dryer. Repeat this movement until all parts of your hair are dry.
- If you want to give more volume to your hair, place the brush horizontally, and heat your hair.
- Pull your fingers between your hair to combine all your hair parts.
- At the end, you can use a hair serum. Be careful not to apply the hair serum to your scalp.
How to dry curly hair properly?
Curly hair can be easily tied together, and it may take longer to blow-dry; So do it without haste and calmly.
- If you have curly hair, you must nourish it. Use natural and organic care products. To allow more material to penetrate your hair, wear a bathing cap after using them and leave it for a few minutes.
- After washing your hair, dry it thoroughly to remove excess water.
- Use a hair serum to make your hair softer and shinier. If you want your hair to stay firm, you can also use gel or hair mousse.
- To dry your hair, use a hair diffuser to prevent frizz and create some natural waves in your hair. It also gives your hair a better volume and looks. Hold the diffuser head for 10 to 15 seconds for each section of hair to dry.
- When about 95% of your hair is completely dry, remove the hair diffuser and dry the roots of your hair with a regular hairdryer.
- At the end, you can use some hair serum again to keep your hair in good shape.
How to dry short hair properly?
Creating more volume in short hair and keeping it moisturized simultaneously can be a little tricky.
- Wash your hair with a suitable shampoo and conditioner.
- Dry wet hair gently and without rubbing with a towel to absorb excess water.
- Use some hair serum to keep your hair hydrated and shiny. You can also use heat-protective oil before the hair drying process.
- Gently comb your hair with a wide-toothed brush to spread the serum or oil all over the hair.
- Set the airflow of the hairdryer to low or medium.
Start the drying process with the cold wind of the hairdryer. Keep the hairdryer head about 15 cm away from your scalp to prevent damage to the hair and inflammation in the scalp.
- If you want to straighten your hair, set the temperature of the hairdryer to medium.
- Finally, use a hair serum to maintain the condition of your hair.
How to properly dry damaged hair?
If your hair is damaged for any reason, including dechlorination, improper care, and damaged hair, you need to be extra careful to protect it.
- Before you start drying your hair, be sure to use hair strengthening masks in the bath or after the bath.
- It may also be best for you to reduce the number of times you wash your hair. This will prevent the hair from losing its natural and beneficial oils.
- Use a quality hairdryer, and if you have curly hair, do not forget to use the diffuser hairdryer.
- Be aware of the wind temperature of the hairdryer. Thin and damaged hair can quickly get hot and burn; So use low temperature to dry your hair, especially if you have short hair.
Tips to consider before buying a good hairdryer:
Undoubtedly, you know that buying a suitable hairdryer is very important. To buy a hairdryer, be sure to pay attention to a few points that we will review below.
Your hair type
Yes; It is true. There are different hair dryers for different hair types. If you have thin hair, it is better to choose hair dryers that give volume to your hair; As a result, ceramic hair dryers will be a good choice for you. These hair dryers regulate heat to prevent damage to brittle hair. Likewise, if you have curly hair, choose hair dryers that have a diffuser option, and ionic hair dryers are the best choice for those who have dry, dull, and frizzy hair.
Consider the wattage of the hairdryer.
It depends on how you use the hairdryer. Professional hairdryers can be up to 3600 watts, But a typical hair dryer between 1300 and 1800 watts can only be suitable for drying hair. If you have thick hair, you can choose hair dryers that have a higher wattage and are stronger, and if your hair is thin, you can select models with a lower wattage.
Pay attention to the nozzle that come with the hairdryer
Hairdryers with different nozzle can help you in different situations and are very practical. The diffuser nozzle, the concentrated head, and the comb are accessories for the hairdryer. For example, with a focused nozzle, you can direct heat and air in one direction and straighten your hair.
If you buy a hairdryer that has all the settings and is kind of versatile, your job will be much easier. When buying, pay attention to the different temperatures, watts, airflow, and settings.
The final word
If you learn how to use a hairdryer properly, you can both add volume to your hair and style it like a professional; Without harming them. If you want to style your hair at home without anyone’s help, try the steps we taught you in this article, and do not forget the hair care techniques and tricks.